A bike is a very convenient mode of transport. It is therefore not surprising to see thousands of bikes on the roads of India every day. But riding a bike has its own set of advantages and disadvantages. While the advantages are many, the disadvantages are severe. The greatest drawback of riding a bike is the risk of accident. A bike accident is usually fatal for the rider as well as the pillion. It is therefore important for every bike owner to opt for a sufficient insurance cover to ensure an accident does not roll out other financial difficulties. The personal accident cover in bike insurance therefore is a vital cover.
What is personal accident cover in bike insurance?
Personal accident cover in bike insurance is a kind of assurance where the insurance provider promises to pay a sum assured if the rider dies or is left disabled after a bike accident. The pillion rider can also be included under the cover at a nominal rate. It is usually available with all basic two-wheeler insurance plans. You may need to purchase it as an add-on cover with some specific bike insurance plans.
What is covered under the personal accident cover in bike insurance?
If an accident takes place, an additional sum of Rs.1 lakh is paid to the nominees of the policyholder (or to the policyholder himself if he is still alive). The sum is paid out under the following circumstances:
- Death due to a bike accident: A full compensation is made if the bike rider dies in a road accident.
- Permanent disability due to a bike accident: If the rider is left permanently disabled after a bike accident, the claim will be paid out. 100% of the claim will be paid in case there is a total permanent disability.
- Temporary disability due to a bike accident: If there is a total or partial temporary disability, you will get a percentage of the claim. Read the policy documents carefully to know what your insurance provider offers.
- Daily hospitalization cash benefits: Some insurance companies offer daily hospitalization cash benefits in case the rider suffers injuries and needs hospitalization. This benefit is however offered for a maximum 50 days from the first of the hospitalization.
- 24/7 claims assistance: Some bike insurance companies offer 24/7 roadside assistance as well as claims assistance.
What are the benefits of personal accident cover in bike insurance?
Like mentioned above, there are many advantages of a personal accident cover in bike insurance. The rider of the bike may be the sole earning member and his death can cut off the only financial source of the entire family. The personal accident cover helps in such a case by offering a monetary relief for the family to deal with the economic challenges. In case a rider is inured and cannot go to work for a few months, the cover works well to replace his income for that period. The monetary relief provided by a personal accident cover is its greatest advantage.
What are the exclusions in personal accident cover in bike insurance?
There are some exclusions in this cover. They are:
- No claim will be paid out if the rider was under the influence of alcohol at the time of the accident.
- No claim will be paid out if the accident happens due to any law violation.
- No claim will be paid out if the accident happens due to a deliberate action of the bike rider.
The bottom line
A personal accident cover in bike insurance is very useful. You can get a substantially large cover at a very nominal rate. As a biker, you can never rule out the chances of an accident. You may get involved in a mishap even if you are not at fault. So as a responsible rider, it is your duty to protect yourself, your co-passenger and your family members too. A personal accident cover helps you do this.